The town is located on a small slope next to the stream of Salar. The village is positioned near the A-92, which gives excellent access to nearby villages such as Loja or Huetor Tajar, or the cities of Granada, Malaga and Sevilla.
The town has an important olive tradition, although cereals, corn and asparagus are also produced. Archaeological findings show that this place has been inhabited since Neolithic times and later by the Romans, at least from the third and fourth centuries AD, as proved by the ruins of Gabino.
Its name comes from the Roman Sall and Latin sallere, which is derived from salebrus that might mean, rude, rough terrain of many canyons. The Islamic period has left deep traces in the town, whose life was always linked to Loja from which it was not separate until 1817. The Arabs called it Valle Hondo. It was conquered by Hernán Pérez del Pulgar and Osorio in 1486. It was repopulated and became a entailed estate. Later his descendants bought the jurisdiction (1583 and 1683) and had the lordship, a situation that has been maintained until the early twentieth century.
Salar (37°00′00″N 3°58′59″O)
Altitude: 544 meters
Population: 2735 inhabitants (2014)
Distance to Granada: 50 km
Distance to the beach: 81 km (Malaga)
Distance to Airport Malaga: 93 km
Distance to Airport Granada: 38 km
Touristic level: low - medium - high
Authentic level: low - medium - high