This is a typical tower-farm castle dating from the thirteenth century, the Moorish period. It was conquered during the siege of Loja in 1486 by Hernan Perez del Pulgar. Although it has been
reformed, its original structure, the old and bulky tower-castle is still perfectly preserved. It is retaining its battlements, windows and loopholes. Attached to the tower is the
palace known as El Castillo. In the castle there are ancient gargoyles that pour water through their mouth.