Guadix is one of the oldest settlements on the Peninsula. Founded by Octavio Augusto, as settlement of veterans of the First and Second Legions, along with a previous Iberian settlement. In Roman times it was called "Julia Gemella Acci" and hence the adjective, "accitano". The current name of the city dates back to the Muslim rule when the city was called "Wadi Ash" ("River Ash '); Arabization of the name Acci), pronounced as "ish wad" in Granada colloquial Arabic. In times of the Kingdom of Granada Wadi Ash was one of his thirty-three madinas or walled cities that had citadel. During this period his jurisdiction of which was almost identical to that of the current Accitania. The current pronunciation is now / gwa'diks / o / gwa'dis / although traditionally was / gwa'dix /, of which attests the adjective.
The caves of Guadix are a later creation in the Arab-Muslim era; its origins date back to immediately after the conquest of Granada in 1492 by the Catholic Monarchs. Excavations in the hills were practiced by master builders, and the technique was to carve the hill but it does not collapse.
Other villages that belong to the municipallity of Guadix: Estación de Guadix, Bácor, Hernán-Valle, Paulenca, Belerda, Olivar y Los Balcones
Guadix (37°17′58″N 3°08′14″O)
Altitude: 910 meters
Population: 18.898 inhabitants (2014)
Distance to Granada: 54 km
Distance to the beach: 106 km (Almeria)
Distance to Airport Malaga: 188 km
Distance to Airport Granada: 69 km
Touristic level: low - medium - high
Authentic level: low - medium - high