The church is located on the hill of the same name, which has it spectacular views over Granada. It dates from the early sixteenth century. Construction began so humbly that they had to use old Muslim gravestones in its walls The use of second hand materials has been commonplace in history.
The original temple was small, had a single nave with Gothic arches and space to accommodate three chapels on each side. In mid-sixteenth century the ship was expanded with a new section.. Many works of art were destroyed on March 10, 1936 in the fire caused by the revolutionaries.