This is an hospital that still has this function for almost 500 years. It was Juan Ciudad that had the constant concern to provide shelter for all poor people, an idea that moved many people around at that time. Finally, influential people of Granada adopt the agreement to build a new building on leased land from the jerónimos monks. In 1544 it became public that it was being built.
When Juan Ciudad dies "two quarters" had already been built and a part of the third quarter. Years later, in 1553, the transfer of patients was performed from the hospital Cuesta de Gomérez.
For centuries, the Hospital was dedicated to host poor and sick people, as well as serving as a place of formation of hundreds of hospital brothers.
In the sixteenth century, the building had 6 nursing rooms and 25 beds, it was attended by 25 religious and Superior, and the help of some thirty employees.