The Generalife is a villa with gardens inhabited by the Muslim kings of Granada and used as a resting place. It is situated next to the Alhambra and it was conceived as a rural village, where ornamental gardens, orchards and architecture were integrated. These royal gardens were common in Hispanic-Arabic times. Generalife is the result of reforming and adjustments of the various sultans who lived here. The palace was probably built in the late thirteenth century by the second sultan of the Nasrid dynasty, Muhammad II (1273-1302). It was declared, together with the Alhambra as a World Heritage Site by Unesco in 1984.
It consists of a set of buildings, courtyards and gardens, making it one of the biggest attractions of the city of Granada, and together with the Alhambra, one of the most remarkable
architectural ensembles of Muslim civil architecture. From the outside two pavilions located north and south, and connected by a path yard for the watercourse, the two pavilions are very reformed
The Generalife is located outside the walls of the Alhambra, east, on the slopes of Cerro del Sol. It was a recreational estate for the Nasrid sultans, but also used for farming. In the medieval period it had at least four vegetable gardens and a palace. It is built in Moorish Arabic style. At the time of its construction, it was located outside the perimeter of the Muslim Granada, and had no direct communication with the Alhambra. Its main access road was from Barranco Aikabia, the current Cuesta de los Chinos, rising from the river Darro.