The convent was founded in 1501 by Isabel la Católica because of the promise she made to create a convent in the last city that was reconquered on the Muslims. The original building was built in just two years and in 1540 it was occupied by the nuns.
In the dome are two shields with the yoke and arrows of the Catholic Monarchs, its founder. sTheir initiasl also appear on the pillars of the temple. It has a large number of artworks, among them is the image of a crucified Christ that has a very interesting history. When the Catholic Monarchs took the city of Granada, they celebrated a Mass in honor of this victory, and this image is representing this important event.
The place was known among the Granada as "las Vistillas" giving idea why the site was chosen by Comendador for his foundation. The name is still common, almost five centuries later and despite the modern buildings took away the fabulous views over the valley, the Genil and the Sierra itself.