In the year 1595 the relics of the disciples of St. James were found at Mount Valparaíso (currently Sacromonte). The lead plates were written in Arabic, which recounted the martyrdom of San Cecilio, San Tesifón and San Hisicio. They are known as the lead books. They also encountered an oven and some ashes. The impact of this finding was huge. The extraordinary ferment that followed led to the rise of numerous crossings. About 1,200 raised by the guilds and craftsmen, of which today there are only four left. Many of these crosses were donated to the Franciscans who made the road connecting the city to the Sacromonte in 1633. The way of the cross at a small chapel dedicated to the Holy Sepulchre. The place became a center of pilgrimage.
The museum opened in February 2010 and is located on one side of the courtyard, distributed in four rooms. It shows numerous works of art by artists who lived in Granada during the XVI and XVII,
such as incunabula and manuscripts, including one of San Juan de la Cruz, one of the copies of Nuremberg Chronicle by Hartmann Schedel a Ptolemy's world map, Arabic manuscripts in matters of
religion, law, grammar, history, math, a copy of the overview of Medicine, Averroes, It shows also various objects of worship, tapestries and a collection of garments. The highlights
are the 25 leaden books and plates that were used for the printing of the engravings such as the Platform of Granada Ambrosio de Vico.
Opening hours: Tuesday till Sunday from10:00 - 13:00 and 16:00 - 18:00 guided tours only.
Entrance fee: 3 euro