This is one of the oldest caves in Granada where they found human remains. It appears that the cave was occupied in the early Paleolithic (approx. 100,000 years ago), The occupation was continuing in the Middle Paleolithic (Mousterian). Its strategic location on the edge of Sierra Harana, overlooking the plains of Guadix made it able to control the movement of large mammals, so it was an ideal place to occupy. It was first excavated in 1916 by H. Obermaier, and later excavations were done in 1979. In the mid-80s the Patronato of Cueva del Agua of the Province of Granada performed a spectacular dig in a stratigraphic section of 16 m.
It was declared a Cultural Interest in February 2002