This church is the main religious monument in the city of Loja and is also the seat of the vicariate of Loja and has the rank of Collegiate. Its construction started in 1491 on the initiative of the Bishop of Málaga D. Pedro de Toledo and was finished in the eighteenth century.
It is built on the fundaments of the old mosque of the city (Al-Jama) that was occupying that place. The church exist of two differentiated parts. The oldest part, recently restored, responds to a Gothic-Moorish style, this was finished in 1508. The interior consists of a ship that goes from the Tabernacle to the junction with the vaults.
The most modern part was built in 1620, after several disputes between the Council of Castile, the Archbishop and the Council of Loja, culminating the construction of a header, that meets the basilica floor. This architectural complex was declared as a National Monument.