The village is known for its fruit, especially peaches, and for its pottery which is sold on the old road to Guadix. Due to the opening of the highway they have lost a lot of economic activity, so also pottery shops were installed at the service road along the highway.
This area was already inhabited in prehistoric times, at least from the period between 3000 and 1800 BC. Its name, however, comes from Arabic and refers to the defensive towers that were built in the Middle Ages on the sides of the river Fardes in order to prevent the penetration of the Christian knights, who were camped in Cazorla. In this sense frontier had a special role during the last Islamic stage, the nazaritas until it fell to the Catholic Monarchs in 1489 and was assigned to Juan de Benavides. Then he became an annex of Marchal and in the seventeenth century received the title of Villa Real has kept until the twentieth.
Purullena (37°18′53″N 3°11′22″O)
Altitude: 935 meters
Population: 2429 inhabitants (2014)
Distance to Granada: 49 km
Distance to the beach: 113 km (Almeria)
Distance to Airport Malaga: 182 km
Distance to Airport Granada: 63 km
Touristic level: low - medium - high
Authentic level: low - medium - high