Lugros is a mountain village with narrow and steep streets that converge in the main square. It is located at more than 1,200 meters, at the head of the Alhama river. Even in prehistoric times its economy was based on mining. Its name, however, does not refer to any of the metals that the Romans were excavating. It were the wolves, that were present in this area. In Latin lupus, means 'wolf', derived later in Luberos, and later in Lubros and Lugros.
From the eighth century the Arabs were occupying this area and during the Nasrid period this town was a farmstead of Beas de Guadix. In 1489 it was conquered by Ferdinand and thereafter was gradually repopulated with old Christians. A large part of its territory is within the National Park of Sierra Nevada.
Lugros (37°13′49″N 3°14′27″O)
Altitude: 1250 meters
Population: 328 inhabitants (2014)
Distance to Granada: 62 km
Distance to the beach: 121 km (Almeria)
Distance to Airport Malaga: 196 km
Distance to Airport Granada: 77 km
Touristic level: low - medium - high
Authentic level: low - medium - high