The village is set on the slopes of Monte Rosado and located on the north face of the Sierra Nevada, La Peza was an old Roman castro, whose name comes from the term lápice (stone), and on which the medieval fortress was built. This fortress was in charge of guarding the ancient road between Guadix to Granada through the Sierra de Huétor.
The town has more than 50 kilometers of forest tracks to take. The in total 6,000 acres of mountain and forest, has pines, oaks and malls alternate in countless nooks and places of remarkable natural beauty, dotted with ancient farmhouses, fountains, mines, rocks, hills and viewpoints.
The town center has a Mudejar church that has the distinction of having two towers, one Mudéjar (XVI century) and the another from the eighteenth century.
La Peza (37°16′31″N 3°17′06″O)
Altitude: 1055 meters
Population: 1263 inhabitants (2014)
Distance to Granada: 65 km
Distance to the beach: 127 km (Motril)
Distance to Airport Malaga: 184 km
Distance to Airport Granada: 51 km
Touristic level: low - medium - high
Authentic level: low - medium - high