According to the Arabic script with the name Albuñán is recorded in the municipal archives of Guadix, its name ("al-Bunyan") means "the building" without being really knowing to which particular building it could refer. Although it has not been able to find out the exact time of its foundation, it is known that this town has medieval origins.
Like many other towns in Granada, Albuñán began to grow as urban core after the expulsion of the Moors in the sixteenth century; thereafter settlers from different parts of Spain occupied their lands.
Originally, Albuñán was an old Arab farmhouse, where families lived, devoted to cereal cultivation. According to chronicles of the Marquis of Ensenada it had a small castle fortress which not left any remains. After the Reconquista it became part of the Diocese of Guadix.
Albuñán (37°13′37″N 3°08′00″O)
Altitude: 1120 meters
Population: 430 inhabitants (2014)
Distance to Granada: 75 km
Distance to the beach: 91 km (Adra)
Distance to Airport Malaga: 209 km
Distance to Airport Granada: 90 km
Touristic level: low - medium - high
Authentic level: low - medium - high