This village is located at 895 meters above sealevel and has 797 inhabitants (2013). The name means the "Good Mister". The town is probably founded in Arabic times and totaly abondened after they left. In the 19th century it was almost occupied by 4000 people due to the wine and dried grapes production.
In 1653 it became independent from Albuñol. Thanks to its altitude and position on the slopes of the Sierra de la Contraviesa, it enjoys a mild Mediterranean climate. Warm in winter and cool in summer. The village streets are white and narrow; they haven’t changed much from their Arabic origins. The municipality is known for its handicrafts, among which wine, ham, other cold cuts, bread and other baked goods. Therefore they often use the term "Albondón, bread, wine and ham" to refer to it.
The municipality comprises the towns of Albondón, El Castillo, Los Cózares, Los Gálvez, Loma del Aire and Los Vargas as well as Los Santiagos, La Torrecilla, Los Peinados and Los Cipreses, among others.
Albondón (36°49′38″N 3°12′39″O)
Altitude: 895 meters
Population: 797 (2013)
Distance to Granada: 104 km
Distance to the beach: 18 km
Distance to Airport Malaga: 162 km
Distance to Airport Granada: 116 km
Touristic level: low - medium - high
Authentic level: low - medium - high