The church was built between 1510 and 1514. It is artistically an amalgamation of styles, from Mudejar to Baroque, passing the late Gothic and Renaissance, until the proto-baroque and baroque. None of them is predominant. In the mid-sixteenth century, the church had a military function. Outside the church it had battlements, parapets and loopholes. Its doors were defended by rakes and moats. In each of the corners of the East and West front walls were defensive towers. One of them is still there; "Torre de la Vela" which was built by using the old minaret of the mosque Alixara.