In 1773 the Carchuna Fort, was erected, by the Royal Order of Carlos III. It became a part of the defensive network of watchtowers and castles along the Mediterranean coast which was necessary in order to defend the harbors for pirate attacks. The castle had four guns and in terms of personnel that was assigned: an officer and 18 men infantry 8 cavalry to patrol the beach; a corporal and four gunners; a guard-store and a chaplain. First the French and later the British left the building in a bad condion. It was a leading castle in an important chapter in the history of the Spanish Civil War, when on May 23rd, 1938 a ransom of Republican prisoners occurs, most of them were from Asturias. In the spiring of 2015 a second renovation was announched.