The castle of Moclín is one of the best defensive parts of the Nazari period, and the only one which has a full belt of walls .It is located on top of the fortified town of Moclin in the region of Loja. It is dated back to the Moorish period, the fourteenth century, although some elements are older. It was built to defend the Kingdom of Granada. It emerged as a border castle between the kingdoms of Granada and Castilla and was continually besieged during the Spanish-Muslim settlement. In 1486 it was falling in the hands of the Catholic Monarchs.The defensive network of the castle is completed with a series of optical towers that controlled the access to the town. Currently still stand the Mingoandrés watchtower, the Porqueriza watchtower, the Mesa watchtower, the La Solana watchtower and the Torre de la Gallina.
In 1931 it was declared as a historic monument "Bien de Interés Cultura" in the category Monuments. Deteriorated as a result of damage suffered of the bombing by in the Spanish Civil War, it has been the subject of a recent restoration (2012-2013) by the Government of Andalusia.
The castle is currently being restored so not visitable today. The exterior walls and church can although be visited.
Telephone: 958 403 051