This aqueduct was a continuously aborted project of the Kingdom of Murcia. The plan was to create a canal from this area to the fertile lands of Murcia. It was also named Bugéjar-
Canal. It was a very ambitious engineering project being conceived therefore as a authentic and splendid history of the current Tajo-Segura. The project was devised in 1537
according the habit, to create channels on the Iberian Peninsula. The project remained still effective, under Philip II, but the ambition was discarded. In 1633 the project started
again, but soon collapsed.
Throughout the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries a endless number of people and companies linked to this utopia which was renamed as the king hosted the works. From this period
it was named "Canal de Carlos III" . A mark of what could have been a colossal work of engineering.
The ruins of hte aqueduct are situated next to the small hamlet Canal de San Clemente which is situated in the municipality of Huéscar, next to the road from Huéscar to Santiago de Espada.