A small town with 1387 inhabitants (2014). The municipality comprises the towns of Chimeneas and Castillo de Tajarja. The origins of the village dates back to the era of Muslim domination. It was a small farmstead which was then inhabited by a few families.
There are sources that say that the name may come from the smoke from the chimneys of those first homes, that had become a benchmark for walkers, to be seen from quite a distance all around. In the last period of the Arabic domination and even more during the later Christian conquest it was growing in population and finally it was granted town status which it has today.
Its history anyway, is closely linked to that of all the villages of the Vega of Granada and thus suffered the same episodes as the rest, in the times of the transition.
Altitude: 684 meters
Population: 1387 inhabitants (2014)
Distance to Granada: 26 km
Distance to the beach: 79 km (Almuñecar)
Distance to Airport Malaga: 122 km
Distance to Airport Granada: 11 km
Touristic level: low - medium - high
Authentic level: low - medium - high